Some Happy and some not happy at IPL auction

New Zealand's players contracted to the Indian Premier League were working out how to spend their money after receiving huge figures during Wednesday's auction. Another house and a racehorse are on the cards for Brendon McCullum while Stephen Fleming and Jacob Oram are happy their futures are more secure.

"Because it was the first time there was uncertainty about the figures so I had no idea what I'd sell for," McCullum told the Dominion Post. "When I was signed for US$700,000 I was obviously blown away and having slept on it, it's a great feeling and it's nice to get the recognition."

McCullum was the biggest winner from New Zealand while Oram picked up $675,000, Daniel Vettori $625,000, Fleming $350,000 and Scott Styris $175,000. The paper reported Fleming texted "Sorry, can't at the moment, at the bank" when asked for an interview. He later said he was "just pleased to get picked up". "I saw the amounts of money being thrown around and I thought: `Wow, I hope they keep trading.' It was incredible to be involved in."

Oram was speechless when his amount came through. "I was expecting nothing like what I went for," he said. "Dan was first up and I was happy for him. I was hoping I'd be somewhere close to him, I always thought he would be top dog."

The participation of Oram, Vettori and McCullum will be limited in the first year because their tour of England begins on April 27, leaving them only a handful of chances to participate in the inaugural event.

"The players realise where their priority lies," Justin Vaughan, the New Zealand Cricket chief executive, said. "It might hurt them in the pocket in the first year but the following two years are clear for them." There are no problems for Fleming, who has retired, while Styris has stood down from Tests and will be available for all of Hyderabad's matches.

0 comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites
 
ss_blog_claim=4264f5a6d0fe9d119877aceedca73ce0 ss_blog_claim=4264f5a6d0fe9d119877aceedca73ce0